Enter Title Here

Enter Title Here

Offensive content goes here

Offensive content goes here

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hoppy Chinese New Year - Year of the Wabbit

The Chinese New Year holidays ended a few days ago and a lot of people are saying how this year's Chinese New Year holiday is so short. I got nothing to complain about except for the fact that I did not get to visit all my relatives this year.

So this year's Chinese New Year had some surprises for me. I can say it was an eye-opener. I'm lazy and there I said it, I'm lazy. So I'm not gonna go into all the things that happened in those five days in Penang.

I went to my cousin's house and it was packed with my other relatives because she held a buffet lunch and invited all of us to eat there. Did I post on my blog before that I have a huge complicated family tree? If not then let me say it here, I have nephews and nieces who are older than me because my late paternal grandfather had four wives and each of my paternal uncles and aunts vary from age. Yeah so my dad as a kid also already had nephews and nieces which are my current cousins who are well, adults. So here's where all these lead to, one of my cousins have become a grandmother. Which means I have been "promoted" to from uncle to granduncle. Yay. Look how old my status in my family is now. It's just funny. Anyway, ever since I don't remember when, my nephews and nieces have stopped calling me 'uncle'. I can still remember when I was small and did not understand my status in my family, they always called me 'uncle' despite the fact that I was younger than them. Even though I am relieved, I still feel a little disappointed. Guess I'm looking forward to hear one of my older nephews or nieces call me 'uncle' again.

Friday morning my family and I went to have dim sum for breakfast with some of my maternal family members. We all had seated down and were eating when my grandmother suddenly called us (my cousins, my sisters, my mom and my uncle) to see someone. As I was following my grandmother, I saw Mr. Colin at a table. I was surprised and happy to see him. I was thinking of greeting him if I pass by but for some reason before I reached wherever my grandmother was leading us, I felt that I was heading for the table Mr. Colin was sitting at and I was right. My grandmother immediately introduced us to her cousin and as the young ones, we greeted her. I then greeted Mr. Colin. I couldn't be any more shocked than this. Mr. Colin, a mentor and a leader I respected is a distant cousin of mine. Whoa. I was too shocked to have anything run through my brain cells. I could only keep a smile on my face and hide the shock I have on the inside. After my mom and my grandmother chatted with Mr. Colin's mom and grandmother which is my distant aunt and grandaunt, my grandmother told us to go back to our table and finish up the food. I greeted Mr. Colin again and then went back still astonished. I wonder what was going through Mr. Colin's mind. I doubt it was the same as mine. I was blank from surprise.

It was the first time I experienced fine dinning. My paternal fourth uncle and aunt brought my family and I to my cousin's husband's restaurant for dinner. I was great and it was really fine dinning. We had three sets of forks and knifes set before us, the waiter laid out the napkins on our laps for us, they served us wine, it was whoa. I had my first taste of wine and bleh, I don't like wine. Beer tastes better. The meals were spectacular. They came out one by one slowly after everyone finished their plate. We had everything from starters to desserts, five dishes in total.

During our stay in Penang, my four dogs, Patches, Kawaii, Lady (previously Buffy) and Muffin were left at my paternal fourth uncle's house because he also has dogs and a lot of cages. We decided that we leave Lady and Muffin behind and take Patches and Kawaii back to KL. Now it feels like we are missing something at home.

Chinese New Year isn't over yet but the holidays are. Well, I'm lazy and it's 2a.m. now so this ends my blog post.

No comments: