Enter Title Here

Enter Title Here

Offensive content goes here

Offensive content goes here

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Banana Split

On the 9th of September, a Wednesday, Wilson, KW and I met up to go to the Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre (KLPAC) to support Kai's first ever stand-up act. Kai had told us about him going to try stand-up before and the curtains are finally drawing.

In the afternoon, my dad dropped me at Wilson's house where I chilled and read his Spider-Man comic books while he worked on his assignment and played some games. When it was 5pm, we headed over to KW's house where we chilled again and played with KW's hamsters while KW did his work. After that we headed out to the Malay night market and bought dinner. After dinner we headed out in KW's car to KLPAC.

There was a traffic jam on the way so Wilson and KW wondered if we should call Kai to buy us the entry tickets first but then decided not to, but as they already have made their decision, I pranked them for a while two minutes plus by pretending to call Kai and asking him to buy the tickets.

When we got there, I quickly made my way to the piano in the lobby because Kai hid the free ticket there. There was a lady already there and a ticket was on the cover of the piano. I wasn't sure if that was it because Kai said it was inside on the keys. I asked the lady if it was her's and she said 'no', I still wasn't sure so I lifted the cover up and checked the keys to which, I confirmed that the ticket on top is for me. When I put the cover back down, I caught a glimpse of my ticket sliding into the piano behind the keys. Genius, I didn't hold the ticket when I lifted the cover. My large fingers couldn't fit into the gap so I went to the information counter to ask for help. Luckily this skinny guy could fit his fingers in and helped me get my ticket. What a save.

The show Kai was participating in was called Short and Sweet Malaysia. They have many categories and for this particular night, it was Stand-up comedy and Song. So it was a two hour show of song and stand-up comedy by local newcomers and veterans. While it was a show for budding artists, it was also a small competition at the same time.

The three of us got a show schedule that doubled as a feedback and voting form before we entered the hall. It was small hall just nice to fit everyone and still have space. The shows that night was entertaining. There were good performances by the comedians and the musicians as well as some bad and unentertaining ones. We've heard Kai's rehearsal before but it wasn't that impressive while it was a rehearsal. On his actual performance though, it was pretty good. However, we saw how uncomfortable Kai was while he was performing and after the show we went to a mamak and we gave him feedback and suggestions on how to improve his act over supper.

The show was for four nights long and the award ceremony was on Saturday, unfortunately we couldn't make it to see if Kai won anything. Kai didn't, but it was a good first experience for him. Kai made new friends too in this field and he got a lot of tips and advice from a seasoned performer and scriptwriter. Kai now has a dream to do another stand-up, the next time with me. But I don't know, I'm not very outspoken and I don't know what kind of stand-up I can do that other people can relate. Well when it happens, it's worth to try.

No comments: